Revolver vs. Semi-Auto
Every gun owner has their own opinion about which is best – revolver or semi-automatic. Ultimately, only you can decide which will best fit your needs. And, it is possible they may both fit. Let’s take a look at some of the key points of each.
- Simple, straight forward operation.
- No slides to pull or safeties to remember.
- Easy to clean.
- Available in easy to conceal size and weights.
- Reasonably priced.
- Grips are easily changed.
- Ammunition capacity is limited, less than many semi-autos.
- Smaller, lightweight models may produce more perceived recoil.
- Ammunition capacity can be much higher – 15 rounds or more.
- Available in polymer, aluminum or steel frames.
- Less perceived recoil than revolver of equal weight.
- Some models come with interchangeable grip pieces to fit a variety of hand sizes.
- Faster to load.
- Generally have better sights and may be better suited for range practice.
- Manipulation of the slide, and malfunction clearing require practice.
- Cleaning may be more complicated and require more time.
When considering a new firearm, first and foremost determine the primary intended use. If possible, visit a local gun range that offers rentals. Try before you buy. And then, practice, practice, practice. And practice some more.