I was recently asked why I’m so quick to recommend a knife, not a gun, as a primary personal-protection tool. For the purposes of this article, what I mean by a “knife” is one of the very commonplace folding knives found in almost any sporting goods store, or a small fixed-blade knife. Both of these may measure 6 to 7 inches total, with 2 to 3 inches of cutting surface. Here are some general reasons why I recommend a knife:
* Knives are easy to find and purchase
* Knives can be carried almost everywhere.
* Small knives are convenient to carry and conceal.
* More than one knife can be carried easily.
* A knife or object/improvised tool is possibly the most common tool found in our everyday environments — at work and at home.
* Local laws do…